error 'Cannot read encrypted file' when loading password protected file

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:45 AM
When i try and open a password protected file I get the following error.

Fatal error
: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Cannot read encrypted file' in C:\wamp\www\PHPExcel\Reader\Excel5.php:439 Stack trace: #0 C:\wamp\www\test_excel.php(9): PHPExcel_Reader_Excel5->load('nb.xls') #1 {main} thrown in C:\wamp\www\PHPExcel\Reader\Excel5.php on line 439

The following is the code

require_once 'PHPExcel/Reader/Excel5.php';
        require_once 'PHPExcel/Writer/PDF.php';

$objReader = new PHPExcel_Reader_Excel5();
        $objReader->setLoadSheetsOnly( array("sales summary") );
        $objPHPExcel = $objReader->load($_FILES["file"]["tmp_name"]);
        $cell_value = $objPHPExcel->getActiveSheet()->getCell('A1')->getValue();
Mar 20, 2009 at 3:27 AM
Sorry, reading / writing password protected (encrypted) Excel files is not possible. Neither for Excel5 nor Excel2007. See also:

I'm not even sure what is capable of doing.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:35 AM
<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>

That’s what interesting. The file isint actually encrypted. I see the option to encrypt the file and I have not used it.

It appears that workbook protection is what is causing it. When I turn the protect workbook off it works fine.

Any chance this is repairable?

Will there be better error trapping for when an encrypted file is opened?

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:59 AM
Hmm... Interesting, I must admit you must be right. Can you try to comment that line 439 in Excel5 reader throwing the exception. It should then work.

This is something I will try to get fixed for next release.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:37 AM
I commented out the line and now I get a huge amount of the following

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 26 in C:\wamp\www\norwexcs\PHPExcel\Reader\Excel5.php on line 4602

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 27 in C:\wamp\www\norwexcs\PHPExcel\Reader\Excel5.php on line 4602

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 28 in C:\wamp\www\norwexcs\PHPExcel\Reader\Excel5.php on line 460

I realized i was using an older version of the class when I got the intial error so I upgraded to the latest and the same issue just on a different line number.

Do you suspect that this is something that is fixable in the future?
Mar 20, 2009 at 6:19 AM
Ok, commenting that line won't work. I now remember what the problem was. All records are encrypted whenever you enable workbook protection with a non-empty password.

There is no fix for this around the corner. I think this is something we would look at in the future, but it is probably not easy to solve. Unfortunately.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

a stable solution to date?

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

No change. This is a complex problem, and low priority

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM
i found the solution in Perl. the name librarie is Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-0.59

I use perl to run the function on PHP $lastLine = system(' file.xls 2>&1',$output);

The documentation is excellent.