PHPExcel lisence question

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 18, 2012 at 4:42 AM

I have one simple question.

I have a php project with simple calculation pages and I want to distribute it  under the GNU GPLv3 lisence. In some php files I would like to include_once one template of the "tests" directory so I can use variables to an excel file. Can I do that and still use for my code the GPLv3 also mentioning that phpexcel is distributed under the LGPL?

Or am I breaking the terms of the lisence by that? Thanx in advance and I am sorry if the question seems a bit silly to u.

PS:Great software.Keep up the good work.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:40 AM

I'm not a license expert, or a lawyer, but my reading is:

You must also include a copy of the LGPL licence in your application's package and state that you've used the PHPExcel library under that license, but you aren't obliged to release full PHPEXcel code with your application. If you make any changes to the PHPExcel code itself,

You must also provide a way for your users to rebuild your application with a different Excel library.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sorry. My english isn't that good enough to know for sure that's why I am asking.Sorry for that.

Offcourse I will include the lgpl and say that phpexcel is under this lisence. In simple words. I copied the phpexcel folder, PHPExcel.php, 03formulas.php into my apllication dir. Edited 03formulas.php. Added a comment in 03formulas.php that says that I edited this file and this file only including the timestamp.

In my application footer I stated that my software is under GPLv3 lisence but it uses PHPExcel which is under the LGPL Lisence.

My question is.  Should I release my whole code with  LGPL because the file 03formulas.php is included in one of my files? Or can I stay with GPLv3 for my files and my files only as I say above?

Sorry for all the trouble. I just want to be sure before I release.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM

If PHPExcel was GPL, then it would be restrictive of the license that you can apply to projects built using the library.... however, LGPL is a lot more flexible, and doesn't impose any level of restriction on the license whichyou apply to your own product built using PHPExcel... so no, you're not obliged in any way to release your own code under LGPL as well.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Thank you very much