Large excel files

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jan 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM

resently i confronted with a problem that i had to generate complex reports in excel. I used PHPExcel and it was working fine, but as records in the database increased i started to get internal server error. I checked and found that error was fired when the file was above 50000 rows.Searched on google abt this problem but no solution found. It is not issue with memory limit or max execution time because in case of these problems i am getting proper error message like "failed to allocate memory".

If any body came across such problem plz reply..

thanks in advance..

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Edited Jan 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Have you tried any of the potential solutions listed on this forum, such as cell caching? There are links from the FAQ

http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/discussions/242712?ProjectName=phpexcel

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

ya  I have tried cell caching as well as destructors not worked for me.

Is there any other way to output phpexcel object to output as it is created.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Edited Jan 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

No, I guess not. The architecture of PHPExcel  is batch oriented. First you create a PHPExcel object holding data in an intermediate format (either by using a reader, of by filling it by hand). Secondly the data is exported using a writer. This is, in my opinion, one of the biggest problems when trying to handle large volumes of data. On the other hand, it gives the user a lot of flexibility in choosing in- and output options.

A great addition to phpexecl would be the possibility to use streaming input and output objects. However, I guess this would require the entire library to be rewritten.

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

anyways thanks for your reply.. :-)