PHP license violation by the name 'PHPExcel'

Topics: Project Management Forum
Feb 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM
Edited Feb 6, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Hello!

I noticed that PHPExcel (which is a great product, btw) is using the certain libraries, namely

\PHPExcel\Shared\OLE.php

\PHPExcel\Shared\Stats.php

and all files in d \PHPExcel\Shared\OLE\

which are licensed under the PHP license.

The PHP license explicitly forbids the usage if the term 'PHP' is used. I think this is something to be seriously considered by the project management as it is thin ice to move on.
I know this relation is not obvious - but e.g. that was one of the reasons to rename the OSS software phpSurveyor to LimeSurvey. It could also stall adoption by third-party applications as they may commit the same license violation unknowingly.

Best regards

Carsten

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2010 at 8:14 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I can't comment on OLE at the moment, but I assume that by \PHPExcel\Shared\Stats.php you're referring to the PHP port of the JAMA package, which is also a PHP license. In the latter case, I contacted the authors about its usage; and we have explicit written (e-mail) permission from Paul Meagher (the main author) to use JAMA however we like, even change the license if we want. That permission allows us to use the library within PHPExcel without worrying about the name.

I think we need to wait on Maarten's return from vacation before making any comment on the OLE license, although I am aware of an independent port of Kawai Takanori's OLE::Storage_Lite Perl package to PHP that is licensed under LGPL if it did become necessary to make any change.

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Good one! Will check with the OLE package owners directly.