Severe memory issue

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Feb 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2010 at 6:01 AM

Terrific work on PHPExcel - beautiful programming but you need to step through with a memory check because something is drastically wrong.  I'm running PHP 5.3.1 and I'm just trying to load in a very plain (all text) 583,000 byte, 1450 row Excel xls speadsheet with "ReadDataOnly" turned on and I'm blowing through my memory limit.  There is no way I should be using this much memory.

I see memory issues have been a problem for some time but I've not seen the issue raised for a simple data-only load with a rather small spreadsheet.  I can provide the spreadsheet if it will help.

When it works, it's a thing of beauty, I hope you can sort this out quickly.

Pardon my appearance of criticizing PHPExcel.  I thought I was reporting a minor programming fault but the lack of a response would indicate I need to look closer at our configuration.  My apologies for taking your time.

Developer
Feb 5, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Right now, estimate 1KB memory per cell. We will reduce that figure in the future. Hopefully, we can soon release some updated information about that issue.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Thank you for your response. Hopefully you can find a solution for the "dataOnly" mode that will significantly reduce the memory footprint. 

Great piece of work, thanks again.