Maximum function nesting level of '100' reached

Topics: User Forum
Jan 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I have a massively complex calculation in a cell on a spreadsheet.  I am getting this error:

Fatal error: Maximum function nesting level of '100' reached, aborting!

Is there any way to override the maximum?

In 1.6.7, the sheet would sometimes work and sometimes not, so I switched to 1.7.1 to see if it fixed the problem.  It fails immediately with this error.

Thank you.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:06 PM

If you are using xdebug, you can add an "xdebug.max_nesting_level=xxxx" line to your php.ini file.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I'm not using xdebug...  And I definitely wouldn't use it on a live server.

Are you saying this is not an error generated by PHPExcel?

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Sorry, my mistake.  It was enabled for the CLI for some reason. 

That definitely clears that up.  Thank you!

Now if I can just find the real issue.  -sigh-

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I doubt it's an error generated by PHPExcel. I just searched the source code and found no reference to that type of error message.

It's probably coming from PHP itself.  The only way I know to adjust that is through the "xdebug.max_nesting_level=xxxx" line in the php.ini file.  Mine is currently set at 1000 due to a spreadsheet with heavy use of h/vLookup calls...now I just run out of memory and time. :P

 

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Removing XDebug definitely removes the error.  Unfortunately, it wasn't actually the error that was causing my problem, so I'm back to trying to isolate my issue again.

Thanks for the timely responses!

After more thorough testing, I have concluded that the issue is almost assuredly in my code somewhere, and not PHPExcel.  Sorry for the bother!