Data not updating & Default worksheet window status

Topics: User Forum
Dec 27, 2009 at 11:03 AM

First I'd like to thank the development team for your hard work in making this app awesome, though it did take many searches to get syntax and context on each of the commands I used.  I have successfully completed my first project by exporting a report and making it as beautiful as expected. I do have a question or two if anyone has some pointers for me regarding the few issues I have run into...

1. When i export the file as the excel5 .xls file (a dynamic file name, based on date, to a specific location) it works beautifully, but if the data changes and I export it again, it will not update. I have found however that if I clear my broswing data and history in my Web browser, the new data is exported as expected. It was my understanding that since PHP is dynamic that the page would not be cached, and the newly exported spreadsheet would have the "new" data. Is this an incorrect presumtion?

2.  When I open the exported file, the window for the worksheet is minimized and fairly small by default, and I have been unable to find a setting that will maximize it upon open (or save it maximized). has anyone run into this previously?

Thanks much for your help,

Silver Tiger

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM

1. When i export the file as the excel5 .xls file (a dynamic file name, based on date, to a specific location) it works beautifully, but if the data changes and I export it again, it will not update. I have found however that if I clear my broswing data and history in my Web browser, the new data is exported as expected. It was my understanding that since PHP is dynamic that the page would not be cached, and the newly exported spreadsheet would have the "new" data. Is this an incorrect presumtion?

If a browser believes that you have already downloaded this file, then it may use the copy it holds in its cache, rather than request it again from the server. This is often the case when requesting files with a content type other than text/html (including images, stylesheets, and xls files) A typical workround is to add a 'random' parameter (eg a timestamp) to the URL request every time it is made, so that the browser always believes it is a new request and goes to the server rather than checking its local cache. e.g. /PHPExcel/buildWorkbook.php?time=20100601084827

2.  When I open the exported file, the window for the worksheet is minimized and fairly small by default, and I have been unable to find a setting that will maximize it upon open (or save it maximized). has anyone run into this previously?

Like many Windows applications, Excel opens in the same size window as when it was last closed. The workbook doesn't determine this in any way, but Windows itself.