php_zip has anyone succeeded in using a substitute?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Hi!

I recently made a pretty neat phpexcel app. The problem is, when I'm throwing this up at the live server the web hotel says they can't activate php_zip module for their shared environment.  They asked me if zlib would help. Which I guess it won't.

So, I'm asking has anyone succeeeded in running PHPExcel with any other solution than php_zip?

Developer
Nov 12, 2009 at 12:53 AM

I have not tested, but you might try to download and include the ZipArchive.php class by vadik56

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=254316

On the other hand, if they can't enable zip you should perhaps look for another web host.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Ok.. So I put this on the live server. And they don't have php_zip. Yet it still works.. How come? :)

And yeah, I'm ONLY importing excel. I'm  not writing. Is php_zip perhaps used only during write?

Developer
Nov 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM

zip extension in needed by Excel2007 reader/writer and the new OOCalc reader. Because .xlsx and .ods files are zip archives. You can try to change extension to .zip and try to extract them.

If you are just using Excel5, CSV, HTML, PDF, or Excel2003XML components then the zip extension is not necessary as those file types are not zip archives.

Developer
Nov 13, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Updated "Requirements" section in install.txt, Wiki under the "Home" tab on this website + "PHPExcel developer documentation" to avoid confusion when and when not zip extension is needed.