disk caching

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Aug 22, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Hello guys,

Very good php component. You have done a really good work, as others have said here, this seems to be one of the best php excel component over internet. Besides this, I am seeing that this component has its problems with memory with large amounts of data. Unfortunetly I need to use it with very large files in the projects I am working right now. I have read all the discussions an issues about the famous memory allocation problem also the solutions for some of them. They seem just to mitigate the problem or as partial solutions. The real solution, as you have said, is a caching mecanism (I think that the most realiable is the disk one). I really don´t see any other solution to decrease dramatically the memory usage. I really like your componet but without these feature it is impossible for me to use it. When are you planning making these feature possible on phpexcel (if you are)? (seriously speaking and allowing estimations)

Thank you

Developer
Aug 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM

>> When are you planning making these feature possible on phpexcel (if you are)? (seriously speaking and allowing estimations)

As I see it, work on this could start after PHPExcel 1.7.1, that is probably mid-October 2009. We haven't really discussed this, so Maarten may even bump in here and say that this is not possible. There are also other important work items. Therefore, at very best, PHPExcel 1.7.2 may contain cell disk caching enhancements. But there could even be problems we aren't even aware of yet, so everything is very uncertain.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Please let me know if you need some kind of help (Maarten or you) with this disk caching implementation (if it's possible to do). I think there could be a lot of people interested in solving this memory issue from the root and help you guys.

Developer
Aug 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM

>> Please let me know if you need some kind of help (Maarten or you) with this disk caching
>> implementation (if it's possible to do). I think there could be a lot of people interested in
>> solving this memory issue from the root and help you guys.

Thank you. As this progresses we will definitely let you know how you can help :) In any case, don't hesitate coming with suggestions.

Post any suggestions you may have for disk caching in work item 6857:

http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=6857