Some systems open xlsx files as zip, some as worksheet

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Hey all,

On my Linux/Firefox machine I use for development it recognizes the file I create with an extension of xlsx and opens it right up in OpenOffice spreadsheet, but on my Windows machine, and the client's Windows machine it opens it as a .zip file (even with that extension), and asks they unzip the file.

I understand that xlsx is some kind of archive or different than an xls file?

But is there a way to make IE recognize it as a spreadsheet and open it directly in Excel?

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Okay, just a few seconds of Googling found out how xlsx is the newer open format so it was the older Excel programs on my and the client's Windows machines having issues. Found these two solutions that convert xlsx to xls. First, a program from Microsoft that can convert them on the desktop

http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/04/23/xlsx-to-xls/

And a web site that does the conversion on their server and emails you a link to your converted file.

http://www.zamzar.com/

But is it possible for this library to create .xls files? I think probably not since it's an entirely different format, but thought I'd ask.

Developer
Aug 6, 2009 at 6:10 AM
bigskypenguin wrote:

First, a program from Microsoft that can convert them on the desktop

"Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats" is the solution. It will allow you to open and save xlsx files in Microsoft Office Excel 2003.

bigskypenguin wrote:

But is it possible for this library to create .xls files? I think probably not since it's an entirely different format, but thought I'd ask.

The Excel5 writer is able to do that.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Having the same issue (never noticed until an IE user brought it up...shows how many people in my office actually use it! :P) and installing MOCP did not work, unfortunately.

I tried to nudge it along with declaring the XLSX MIME type ("application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet", for those who are interested - took awhile to dig it up) but that didn't work either. It sort of seems like a "s**t outta luck" sorta deal, and people are just going to have to use other browsers until MS *really* fixes this.

Developer
Jan 17, 2010 at 3:48 AM
redcore wrote:

Having the same issue (never noticed until an IE user brought it up...shows how many people in my office actually use it! :P) and installing MOCP did not work, unfortunately.

I tried to nudge it along with declaring the XLSX MIME type ("application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet", for those who are interested - took awhile to dig it up) but that didn't work either. It sort of seems like a "s**t outta luck" sorta deal, and people are just going to have to use other browsers until MS *really* fixes this.

The particular IE user who says that Windows opens the xlsx file as a zip file does not have "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats" installed. Without that he won't be able to open xlsx files in Microsoft Excel 2003.

Once he installs it this should not happen.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I probably should have just spelled it out rather than acronymed it, but by "installing MOCP did not work", I meant that I installed "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats" and unfortunately that did not make XLSX files open in Microsoft Excel 2007 with IE7. I'm not sure if there are crossed wires on this one - there is no issue with opening XLSX files in general, but rather with IE downloading XLSX files.

Developer
Jan 19, 2010 at 6:33 AM
redcore wrote:

I probably should have just spelled it out rather than acronymed it, but by "installing MOCP did not work", I meant that I installed "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats" and unfortunately that did not make XLSX files open in Microsoft Excel 2007 with IE7. I'm not sure if there are crossed wires on this one - there is no issue with opening XLSX files in general, but rather with IE downloading XLSX files.

Can you try to run example Tests/01simple-download-xlsx.php and see if your users have problems with that one too?