OpenOffice and DataValidation

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 14, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Hy there,

I'm creating a xls from content that I select from a MySql-DB and it all works really great. But I have one little Problem regarding the DataValidation function.

The sample 15datavalidation.xslx is working in my Office 2003 on my Windows-XP Virtual Machine, but it's not working in OpenOffice 3.1 (latest version afaik, neither on linux or windows).

Will this be implemented in the near future that DataValidation fields will operate in OpenOffice, or is this something that doesn't exist on your to-do list ;-)

I just wanted to know...

So DataValidation fields are only working in xslx-files, aren't they? Is it  planned that they work in xls, or is there a workaround to create a xls with DataValidation?

Thx in advance and keep up the good work. You have done really good work.

sushi2k

Developer
Jul 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM

>> The sample 15datavalidation.xslx is working in my Office 2003 on my Windows-XP
>> Virtual Machine, but it's not working in OpenOffice 3.1 (latest version afaik, neither
>> on linux or windows).

I just tested this, and I can verify your result. I believe this is an issue with OpenOffice.org 3.1 because when I created an .xlsx file in Microsoft Office Excel 2007 and tried to open it in OpenOffice.org 3.1 I found the same problem. (I tried to search for the problem in the bug tracker for OpenOffice.org, but gave up for now, it was sort of overwhelming... may look into this later)

>> Will this be implemented in the near future that DataValidation fields will operate
>> in OpenOffice, or is this something that doesn't exist on your to-do list ;-)

I'm not 100% sure what this will require, but it has been documented for .xls, so I would guess it should be possible, but it may not come in the near future. Anyway, I created a work item, so you can vote for it:
http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=10300

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Ok, thx a lot for your post. I use now the CPAN-Modul Spreadsheet-WriteExcel, because I need AutoFilter in a xls...

But I voted for your work item :-)

Thx anyway.