Cannot load xlsx file to read

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM
I entered this under the ISSUES tab, but I am not sure where this type of post acutally belongs, so I'm posting it here as well.

I've used this PHPExcel class for .xls files prior to this with success, but this time I've been running into issues. Now, I'm trying to load and read a .xlsx file and can't even get past the load() function.

I should mention I'm not getting any errors what so ever. None in the logs and none in the browser or console. It simply executes the code and returns nothing.

The file I'm trying to upload has formulas as well as links to other data sources (when I open the file it asks to update the links to retieve the latest data). This is what could possibly be causing the issues, but below is my initialization code for this PHP class:
require($modules . "/PHPExcel/Classes/PHPExcel/IOFactory.php"); 

$inputFileType = "Excel2007";

$inputFileName = $_FILES["file"]["tmp_name"]; // my file is being uploaded rather than hard coded
$objReader = PHPExcel_IOFactory::createReader($inputFileType); // I've also tried to put the type inside here

$objReader->setReadDataOnly(false); // also tried true, but neither seem to make a difference
$objPHPExcel = $objReader->load($inputFileName);
Can anyone help me determine what is going on? If I change the file to a .xls and use the Excel5 input file type it seems to work. However, the Excel file will inform me that saving it in this format causes fidelity loss and possibly breaks the formulas/links within the file.

What specific Excel values can cause this class to "break"? Links to data sources, formulas, etc.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.