optimal steps

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM
Hi there

I need to generate a xls file with allot of sheets/formulas/data/style/ and I'm curious about the optimal steps that I have to  follow. Which is the best approach. Which is the best order?
a. generate all the sheets , fill data, add formulas,   add style
b. for every sheet: add data, add formulas add style
c. generate all the sheets, add style, add formulas, add datas

I'm asking this because I need to generate a excel file with 35 sheets, and only generating one empty file with styles it takes me about 1 minute on a dual core procesor with 4GB RAM(in lucky cases...sometimes it croushes).

Developer
Apr 16, 2009 at 4:21 AM
I would very much like to wait answering this question as recommendation could change shortly. In short, sequence a), b), or c) does not matter. What is slowing down the process is when you have a heavily styled workbook, each styled cell slows the process with the writer. Let's return to your case once we have something ready.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:43 AM
I'm thinking that the read/write file on disk is slowing down the web-application. Is my supposition true?

when is styling formulas involved, is better to duplicate/clone/copy a styled sheet or to generate the sheet with the style again?
Developer
Apr 16, 2009 at 8:09 AM
>>I'm thinking that the read/write file on disk is slowing down the web-application. Is my supposition true?
Correct. Especially the write.

>>when is styling formulas involved, is better to duplicate/clone/copy a styled sheet or to generate the sheet with the style again?
Currently, there is not much difference. In the future duplicate/clone/copy the style sheet could be slightly faster than generating the sheet again with the styles.