Missing Instructions?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Dec 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Hi, I'm using PHP Version 5.3.10 and I'm working with drupal 7. I was able to follow the instructions from this link (at the Drupal site) to install the PHPExcel module (version 7.x-3.7). I've also installed the Classes, Documentations, Example folders and changelog.txt to my /en/sites/all/libraries/PHPExcel directory (and also made sure that the versions section was set to a number: * @version 1.7.9, 2013-06-02)

So why is it, when I access the Examples/01simple.php file I only get the following display?
19:12:24 Create new PHPExcel object
19:12:24 Set document properties
19:12:24 Add some data
19:12:24 Rename worksheet
19:12:24 Write to Excel2007 format
19:12:25 File written to 01simple.xlsx
Call time to write Workbook was 0.0679 seconds
19:12:25 Current memory usage: 5.5 MB
19:12:25 Write to Excel5 format
19:12:25 File written to 01simple.xls
Call time to write Workbook was 0.0427 seconds
19:12:25 Current memory usage: 7.75 MB
19:12:25 Peak memory usage: 7.75 MB
19:12:25 Done writing files
Files have been created in C:\dirName\dirName2\en\sites\all\libraries\PHPExcel\Examples
I've also tried this with the 17html.php example and I see the 17html.html file has appeared in the same Examples directory however when I try to access that, I get a blank page.

Also when I try to access the /en/sites/all/libraries/PHPExcel/Classes/PHPExcel.php I also get a blank page. What gives? I tried to follow all directions to the letter, but I am not getting a display. In fact, the only thing that DOES display seeming properly are the pages in the /en/sites/all/libraries/PHPExcel/Documentation/API directory.

I feel that something is missing, I'm not sure which function or set of code lines to put in a page to make the thing work.

Drupal is annoying enough, would like to put this headache to rest so a successful solution would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM
These scripts write the result on the server's disk file and do not return to the browser as progress information.
The 17html.html file contains something when you open it with Notepad?
PHPExcel.php contains the PHPExcel class, it takes instantiate the object to do something.
The script 01simple-download - xls.php (or its variant in xlsx) will propose to the user to save the file on its disk.
Dec 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Thank you, but I would like information on how to get the script to actually show a table. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that. I was under the impression that the phpexcel script would provide some sort of user interface. However, after installing everything, I have no clue what to do next in order to get the desired result which is an excel sheet on a webpage.

Any suggestions?
Dec 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM
PHPExcel is a set of classes to read and write Excel files. Some classes deviate a little from this fundamental to allow to read CSV files (to make Excel files and not for import into a database) or write in a PDF file, an html file, to name a few.
It's like a Toolbox made available to a mechanic. Without mechanic (programmer) to use it, nothing happens. It comes with an instruction manual (and not a simple slip: the documentation is 10 MB) containing many examples.
PHPExcel is not a tool that produces a result with great blows of drag-and-drop, it is necessary to write the code to put in motion
File 01-download - xls.php offers a simple Excel file, that it is sufficient to expand, the file 17html.php generates an html file representing an Excel sheet.
Implement does not give the expected result? OK. But it takes information to help solve a problem.