Installing and using

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 30, 2009 at 5:35 AM
complete noob here I want to creat a excel type spreed sheet using PHP on my website that is enteractive
Is that what this is I have a working excel spreed sheet just needs to be php so it will work on web
How do I install and exacute this I read the doc but ??? I very much a noob
Developer
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM
I believe you're asking whether PHPExcel offers a complete graphical interface like in Google Docs, I'm afraid it doesn't. I'm not even sure anyone has asked for this before!

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:23 AM

I don’t understand how to use PHPExcel the documentation doesnt seem to help or explain usage it like you already need to know how to use the information that is provided.

What I am looking to do is covert a excel worksheet into php and upload to my website; I would like it to be fictional just like if you were using excel. I have mysql DB if needed. I just don’t know how to use PHPExcel I’ve looked at some test files and when I click on one it say open or save I click open and it opens into excel on my PC. I don’t want to use excel locally because the people that will be using the file I create don’t have excel and would not understand it anyway so If it was on the website they would enter data certain thing would be calculated automatically with formulas like excel on save all the data would be saved then when the file was pulled up again all data and calculations would appear as they enter it.. The world could enter data and it would do the calculations and save it. Once the PHP file is up and running to that point I will use PHP to make a viewable only file to the world and a logon for those that are admin and can edit or enter data.

Developer
Jan 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM
What I would suggest is this:
  1. Create an ordinary form in HTML and present that to your users.
  2. Create an Excel file (.xlsx) and place in on your web server. This file holds the necessary formulas, but leave fields blank for user data.
  3. When your user sends a form, load the Excel file using PHPExcel_Reader_Excel2007, and insert user submitted values.
  4. Read off the calculated values (from formulas) and go ahead with necessary action.
Maybe you can try to show us some sample code? This will give us an idea what you're trying.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:19 PM
excel file
Here is the file I didnt know how to just show code because it uses differant pages and it has macros to save the file and protect/unprotect pages.
Any help would be great remember I dont want it to use excel because not everyone has it nor would load it.
THANKS
Developer
Feb 2, 2009 at 6:14 AM
Please note that macros are not supported by PHPExcel. If this is going to work, workbook must not depend on macros. But not sure if you want the final outcome to be an Excel file? If not, I'm not sure where Excel or PHPExcel is needed here at all?

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:26 AM
The macros are just for saving and protect/uprotect sheets in excel I mentioned it because on dnload if dnloaded it would ask to allow or not. I just need a way of using the formulas that calculate the differant fields. I added the file to the above post so ppl could see the way or what Im calculating stuff.
Developer
Feb 3, 2009 at 1:39 PM
I think if final outcome of your project is not going to be an Excel file, then there may not be need for PHPExcel here. However, you can take advantage of the calculation engine shipped with PHPExcel, which is useful even when no Excel files are involved. But it depends on the complexity of the formulas, if there's just e.g. simple addition involved, then I would not invoke PHPExcel's calculation engine.

I'm sorry I can't give more precise answer because I only have vague idea what kind of problem you're trying to solve. If anyone else can see what I have missed, please bump in.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:03 AM
Are you just looking to collaborate on an Excel sheet with others?
Mar 11, 2009 at 2:54 AM

What I have is an excel file that has formulas and things to calculate totals and rankings. Basically I put in a name the place they finished in the race and some other race stats. The speed sheet figures there score and ranks each driver according to their score. I would like to make it a php script /app so it could be on the web and others could fill in data and it calculate just as if it were excel. I want to get completely away from having to use excel it would be a web app type deal. I wouldn’t care if others used it for their races; basically an open source project is fine. I know in my area it would get used, but not get improved upon so collaboration would be users / programming enthusiast I guess

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:39 PM
I think I would probably go another route if I were you.  In my view you have a few options.  1. Use MySQL and PHP to create a form/database/view concept to accomplish this.  You can use formulas (depending on their complexity) in your database.  2. Use Google Docs.  If memory serves they have an API that enables you to "hide" the underlying engine with forms and some display page for the results.  3. Use an online database provider like DabbleDB or Zoho.  They are fast, easy to use and wil enable you to get up and running quickly.

I think that writing and re-writing an Excel file is probably overkill for what you are trying to accomplish.