What is the future for PHPExcel_Writer_Excel5?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Developer
Sep 5, 2008 at 1:07 AM
As the documentation says the PHPExcel_Writer_Excel5 is based on the PEAR Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer. But what does this mean for future development? Quite many discussions and issues involve that particular component and the usual answer is that the PEAR Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer does not support this or that feature.

But when one looks at the bug tracker for Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer one gets depressed. Many simple bugs have been open for up to four years or more! Several patches and fixes are spread here and there together with bug reports. It looks like development has more or less stopped?

Anyone here knows what happened? Unfortunately, I can't even find any Help or Discussion forum at the PEAR site to look for such answer.
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:49 AM
I think this projects (Writer, Reader) are dead.
And OpenDocument Writer for PHP project is dead too:

2 write transactions for the last year!

http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php?group_id=160322&ugn=opendocumentphp&type=svn&mode=12months&year=2008

PHPExcel is the only active project for direct  I/O operations with Excel Spreadsheets.

On Microsoft's Codeplex site :-))))
Developer
Sep 8, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Thank you for your response. I didn't even know about the OpenDocument Writer for PHP. I will definitely take a closer look at it.

I realize that the SourceForge PHP-ExcelReader is no longer developed. Therefore the development will have to continue on its own for PHPExcel_Reader_Excel5. It may be a good idea if someone could go through the bug list at SourceForge and find out which bugs are still present. Otherwise all those bug reports are wasted.

If development of the PEAR Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer has stopped too then I would suggest that we examine the bug list from there and start fixing them here for PHPExcel_Writer_Excel5. Otherwise all those bug reports are wasted too.