Image Problems

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM
Hello,
I have a Excel 2007 file that I open in PHPExcel and save it as a Excel5 file.  Everything works great, but it won't put the images in.  They disappear for some reason.  The only other thing that I can figure out that is worth noting is that the file size is very large, but if Iwas to open it in Excel 2007 in windows and save it (without making any changes) the new file size is about 10% of the file size that was saved through PHP Excel.

Also, the reason that I want a 2003 file is that I am using the command line Openoffice.org to convert to PDF (which seems to work better with my files than the native PDF converter)

I am fairly new to this so any ideas would help.

Thanks,
Bryan
Developer
Jul 31, 2008 at 11:44 PM
According to this thread

http://www.codeplex.com/PHPExcel/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=31894

images are supported in Excel5 writer, so I don't know what you are doing wrong. Maybe it will help to run the 14excel5.php demo.

Can you please describe your method for converting to PDF via command line using Openoffice.org since I'm interested in knowing how you are doing it. If that utility is working for you then could you not use OpenOffice 3 beta for converting Excel 2007 format to PDF?
Aug 1, 2008 at 11:40 AM
I will try to see if those example scripts work. 

In the meantime, to use openoffice.org for command line converting I downloaded the RPMs, installed them, and then used JODConverter (http://artofsolving.com/opensource/jodconverter/guide)
It works great except for the fact that you can't do 2007 files.  I imagine they will updated it at some point.  There is another program you can use to convert a 2007 file to an open document, and then convert that document into PDF (I don't use it because it can take upwards of 1 minute to convert some files and that won't work for my project).  It is called ODF Converter.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you try installing Openoffice.org 3 Beta.

Thanks,
Bryan