HTML Writer should not use "_convertNbsp", when markup in cell

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Edited Feb 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Hi folks

I put this on the tracker: http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/workitem/17335
 and just wanna put it here as tracker strips out Formating and Indentation

_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Version 1.7.2

When there's Html markup in a cell, this code shouldnot be used:
PHPExcel\Writer\HTML.php Line 1010+

Markup like:
<h3>Tank you</h3>
<ul>
   <li>For:
     <ul>
       <li>Your time</li>
       <li>Your work</li>
     </ul>
   </li>
</ul>
will become:
 <h3>Thank you</h3><br/><ul><br/>&nbsp;&nbsp;&?nbsp;&nbsp;<li>For:<br/>&nbsp;&nbsp?;&nbsp;&nbsp;<ul><br/>&nbsp;&nbsp;&?nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;?<li>Hohe Energiedichte</li><br/>&nbsp;&nbsp;?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp?;<li>Your time</li><br/>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb?sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<li>Your work</li><br/>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb?sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n?bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br/>&nbsp;&?nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</ul><br/>&nbsp;&n?bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</li><br/></ul><br/?>

### Solution(for me) ###
if($cellData == strip_tags($cellData)){
$cellData = $this->_convertNbsp($cellData);
$cellData = str_replace("\n", '<br/>', $cellData);
}

Cheers

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Version 1.7.2 is a pretty ancient version of PHPExcel, 2 years old to be precise - 1.7.6 is the latest, with 1.7.7 only a week away from production release - and no longer contains the specific code that you're talking about.... so I'm not going to go back and patch old versions.

Additionally, HTML markup in a spreadsheet cell isn't handled as markup by Excel itself, it's simply a string of data, so I see no reason to put in a lot of logic to try and represent something that doesn't exist in Excel/Open Office/Gnumeric/etc. If this is critical to you, then you should build your own custom HTML writer to handle markup in Excel strings

The HTML->Rich Text Run helper that's on the roadmap for this year's releases may be of some help to you

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Sure it's an old Version, can not switch to newer version for now ;-)
But, good to hear it's no longer used.

As for "HTML markup in a spreadsheet cell isn't handled as markup by Excel itself"
Im are talking about

$objWriterHtml->save($htmlFile);

and this file will be looked at in the browser, so the markup should be valid.
It is not about " to handle markup in Excel"

Cheers

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Just looked at latest version:

version    1.7.6, 2011-02-27

Line 1041+

// Converts the cell content so that spaces occuring at beginning of each new line are replaced by &nbsp;
// Example: " Hello\n to the world" is converted to "&nbsp;&nbsp;Hello\n&nbsp;to the world"
$cellData = preg_replace("/(?m)(?:^|\\G) /", '&nbsp;', $cellData);

// convert newline "\n" to '<br>'
$cellData = nl2br($cellData);

So my point still stands, this will create invalid markup when saved to a html file.

Cheers