download file read-only

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Hello, I'm trying to use PHPExcel for the first time.
I installed everything as planned but I have a problem.
When I try a sample file I have no problems but when I load a file created by me the xls file is read-only.
Can you help?

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Without knowing more about the file that you have created, it's extremely difficult/close to impossible to explain this.

There are a number of possibilities, but it requires some additional information from you to narrow these down. What writer are you using? Excel2007? Excel5? What version of MS Excel are you using to open your file? Are you using any features when creating your worksheets that weren't available in earlier versions of Excel? What message are you getting when you open your workbook, and it insists on read only? Typically, MS Excel will display a message like:

This file was created in a newer version of Microsoft Excel. The file has been converted to a format you can work with, but the following issues were encountered. The file has been opened in read-only mode to protect the original file.
- Some cells contain types of conditional formatting that are not supported in this version of Excel.
Jun 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Hello Mark,

I have same problem.
I use excel5 writer. and does not matter witch version of excel or libreoffice I am using it's always in read only mode

How I can switch off this mode?

Thank you.