Chart Support

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Hello,

When will you release PHPExcel which support chart?
I'm really waiting expectantly for it.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Over the last week, I've been merging the charting objects that I wrote over a year ago now with the latest PHPExcel core, and am now starting on the "heavy duty" testing of it all. For the initial release, I've been working on the Excel2007 Reader and Writer; and (assuming I don't run into any serious problems with my testing) this should be part of the next 1.7.6 release, which I'm hoping will be ready in 2-3 weeks. With that schedule, work on the Excel5, OOcalc and Gnumeric Readers/Writers won't begin until mid-February; and should be included as part of the 1.7.7 release, targeted for around Easter.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking forward to PHPExcel 1.7.7.

Regards.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Hello,

Thanks for releasing 1.7.6.

I updated the library to 1.7.6, but I couldn't output Excel sheet including chart.

Does PHPExcel 1.7.6 support chart?

Thanks,

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:11 AM
Edited Feb 28, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Don't work for me too using:

$objReader = PHPExcel_IOFactory::createReader('Excel5');
$objPHPExcel = $objReader->load("template.xls");

or

$objReader = PHPExcel_IOFactory::createReader('Excel2007');
$objPHPExcel = $objReader->load("template.xlsx");
(...)
$objWriter = PHPExcel_IOFactory::createWriter($objPHPExcel, 'Excel2007');
$objWriter->save("result.xlsx");
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:07 AM

I still haven't got the initial charting release working cleanly, but was getting too many issues being raised for problems that had already been resolved in the SVN code that were distracting my focus.

So I decided to ensure that all those patches that people keep re-raising were released into a production version, so that I could try and focus exclusively on the charting without having to constantly keep telling people "this is already fixed in SVN" for those other issues. Now, at least in theory, I can concentrate on those last few problems that I'm having with the charts, and get out a new release which adds the charting in a couple of weeks time.

The problem I've been having is that the chart is always being positioned at the A1 cell in the worksheet, and that multiple charts are being overlaid. Thsi applies both to new charts being added, and read charts being rewritten; but I believe that the problem is in both the reader failing to read the location correctly, and in the writer. As it stands, it isn't much use; and needs to be resolved before the charting code has any value.

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I'm waiting new PHPExcel which supports the Charting.

Regards.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Thanks for a great code and great work.

we are all waiting for a PHPExcel supports chart.

thanks,

thenndral

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Hello,
How about chart support?
Thanks,

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Resolving the bugs that precluded me from releasing the chart capability in the last release has been delayed while I was trying to find a new job. Now that I'm back working again, I should be in a position to pick up where I left things a month ago, and look at fixing those problems.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Hey Mark,

Do we have a new ETA for this feature?  I'm working on a project that has a hard deadline of July 15th, and my manager wants to know if PHPexcel will support this feature soon or if we should look for an alternative solution.

But regardless, this is an awesome library and I am very impressed with the work put into it. 

Thanks for all you're doing for us!

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM

My hope is that I'll get the remaining problems with the Writer ironed out in the next couple of weeks for a release later this month; but I can't make any guarantees about a hard deadline of 15th July.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Hi Mark,

I'm successfully used your library in one of my company project. I'd like to add chart ability. 

Is it possible to help you with the remaining problems?

Thank you for your job!

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Hi Mark,

Is it possible to get an update on when version 1.7.7 is likely to be released?

Thanks

Wayne

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Hi Mark and really many thanks for PHPexcel that is great!

I've been using it for a while for many projects, but now i've the necessity to create excel files with also some charts inside (line and pie charts), could you please confirm that 1.7.7 is close to be released and will contain chart support?

Thank you

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Hi Mark,

I already have the charts in an excel file.I just need to display them.Please tell me how to display a particular area or chart on browser.Thank You.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Hi,

I've been following this discussion with interest as I have an already developed app just waiting for PHPExcel Chart functionality.

I was wondering if there is any update to when this is likely to be available?

Thanks,

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Hi all,

is there any news regarding 1.7.7 with chart support?

thanks

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Hi,

Any news on the chart support release?

Thanks

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem, charts disapears when editing an existing file with PHPExcel.

Is there any news on this topic? I tried with the last beta relase from github, and the problem is still here.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM

If the problem is "still there", then clarifying exactly what the problem is would help.

The 1.7.7. release works with some chart examples, but is still experimental; the latest github code has stabilised a lot of the initial charting issues. It now works for most types of charts, though there are certain types (stock charts for example) that don't work cleanly. It would help both yourself and myself if you at least tried to narrow down exactly what doesn't work.... even better if you can upload an example of something that doesn't work so that I don't have to try and guess.

The chart examples in the /Tests directory demonstrate that loading a file containing charts and then saving it again works in the majority of cases. To begin identifying a cause for your problem (and I need to identify it before I can do anything to fix it) I need to know what is different about your charts to the examples in /Tests/templates. There will be "no news" until I know what the problem is.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I have a simple Bar Chart. The chart is appearing in the output file when I use Tests/32chartreadwrite.php. However, in the input file, the chart data series Fill is set to Solid and the chart plot area fill is set to Gradient. In the output file, these are being set to Automatic causing the chart to appear differently.

When I set the fill manually in the output file, I do see that the fill colors and stops from the input file have been retained. So the issue simply appears to be not retaining the solid/gradient fill settings.

Is this a known issue? Are there any workarounds? I am new to this forum so not sure how to upload files but can email/upload files if needed.

Note that I'm using PHPExcel 1.7.8 released on Oct 12, 2012.

Another issue I noticed is that callouts are not getting retained during the read and write. I've a picture and that got retained but not a callout.