Cannot evaluate heavily nested formula

Topics: User Forum
Nov 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I have to process xls files that sometimes have heavily-nested formulas. Here's an example:

Trying to evaluate this gives me:

Formula Error: Wrong number of arguments for SUBSTITUTE() function: 7 given, either 3 or 4 expected

By my count, no single instance of SUBSTITUTE has more than 3 arguments. Could this be a bug in the formula parser? Is there any hope of getting this fixed? :)

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:42 AM

You're using ; as an argument separator rather than ,

Have you set the locale for the calculation engine, or are you using the default en_us?

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Oops! I copied that out of, which auto-converts the separator to semicolons. In Excel it shows up as:

I am using the default en_us, and it works fine for all other formulas I've encountered.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM

It should work, I'll take a look and see if there's anything odd happening internally

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Just so you know, now that I've discovered getOldCalculatedValue(), I actually don't have an urgent need for this to be fixed.

(On the off chance that you're really busting your hump trying to solve this one :)

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Hopefully, this issue is resolved with the latest changes to Calculation.php. The code can be found in the SVN Repository