How to attach a file to a cell just like image?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Hi!

Great library! Thanx guys!

I use it to export/import data from/to CMS. There is a need to import/export files of arbitrary type. Is it possible with PHPExcel?

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I'm not sure whether you're asking if PHPexcel supports inserting a file into a cell (the equivalent of Excel's Insert/Object), or whether it's possible to read any arbitray file type into a PHPExcel object (the equivalent of Excel's "Import from File" (using Excel's "Import Wizard")

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM

The first case :)  (whether PHPExcel supports inserting a file into a cell).

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM
tsourick wrote:

The first case :)  (whether PHPExcel supports inserting a file into a cell).

Sorry, only images at the moment

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM

:((( Is there any way to just attach a file to a sheet or document? And what do OLE classes stand for?

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2010 at 4:56 PM
tsourick wrote:

And what do OLE classes stand for?

OLE stands for "Object Linking and Embedding", and was is a technology developed by Microsoft that allowed embedding and linking to documents and other objects. You can find more about it here

tsourick wrote:

:((( Is there any way to just attach a file to a sheet or document?

If you can figure out a way of doing so, you'll know more about it than me. I'm not an expert on OLE, just a hacker at that particular technology. It may be possible to attach files other than Images, but I'm not aware of how to do it, and a cursory reading of the relevant sections of the current PHPExcel code suggests that it isn't possible at present.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM
MarkBaker wrote:
OLE stands for "Object Linking and Embedding", and was is a technology developed by Microsoft that allowed embedding and linking to documents and other objects. You can find more about it here

I am aware of that )  I was asking about OLE because it could be concerned someway. You know, when some product is being developed there some unfinished functionality. I guessed, that it could help me to reach my goal writting come code in addition to existing one :)

MarkBaker wrote:
 If you can figure out a way of doing so, you'll know more about it than me. I'm not an expert on OLE, just a hacker at that particular technology. It may be possible to attach files other than Images, but I'm not aware of how to do it, and a cursory reading of the relevant sections of the current PHPExcel code suggests that it isn't possible at present.

I see. If I get some knowledge about that I'll tell you.

Great lib! Thank you again )