not getting .xls file properties (company and category)

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 9, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Hi,

I am making an script to collect the .xls & .xlsx file properties. I am having problem with .xls (lower version xls-2003) file. When I get the properties of .xlsx files it works fine but not with the .xls. I am not able to get few properties with the 1.7.3c code like company and category. Please can any one help me to short out this problem.

Thanks & Regards,

Jitendra Saklani

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Category, Manager and Company are "extended" properties, located in the "DocumentSummaryInformation" stream rather than the "SummaryInformation" stream, and until recently weren't read by the Excel5 Reader. I've been doing some work on the document properties in all the readers over the last week, including the code for the Excel5 Reader to process the "DocumentSummaryInformation" stream, so the latest SVN code does now include reading both company and category from Excel5 (xls) workbooks. If you download from the daily downloads under the "Source Code" tab here on the web site, you'll have access to this latest code.

Note that the Excel5 Reader doesn't yet read user-defined "custom" properties (although these are now supported by the Excel2007, Excel2003XML and OOCalc Readers), and I haven't yet updated the Writer code to support "extended" or "custom" properties. This is something that I'm targetting for the next release to provide consistency across the core code.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for helping me. I got exactly what I want. I am really happy and appreciate your so quick response.

Thanks once again. :)

Regards,

Jitendra Saklani