Excel5 writer file not compatible with application

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Apr 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Hello, I have started to use the PHPExcel to create Excel spreadsheet from a csv file. After that I want to import the file into an application which requires an Excel 2003 file format. I was easily :) able to create the file in the right format etc.. but my issue is now when I try to import the file in to our application. The Application is complaining about "block[ 0 ] already removed". I searched online and it looks as if this error is caused by the java application which is reading the file when the file is not all required details in it. I found then on the PEARL "Spreadsheet-WriteExcel" documentation that they have a compatibility mode which is supposed to prevent this issue from happening but you have to manually activate it. My understanding is that PHPExcel is using the PEAR Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer library for the Excel5 format and that is based on the PEARL stuff. If all that is correct then my question is now: Dose anybody know how I can activate the compatibility_mode on the Excel5 writer or how I can make the output compatible with my app? I have currently a workaround but that that defends the purpose completely of automation, I can open the created .xls file in Excel and save it again, after that it works fine in my app. Thanks for any help Rene
Developer
Apr 20, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Can you try with latest source code?

http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Hello,

I tried it last night but I have still the issue even with the latest build (46471). I'm currently using the following code to create the file

$objWriter = PHPExcel_IOFactory::createWriter($_AMIEExcel, "Excel5");
$objWriter->save("unplacedasstes.xls");

Should I use something different?

I'm not sure if this helps. The software which I try to use the created excel spreadsheet with is using the Apache POI java (http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/index.html) library to read the file and that is throwing the "block[ 0 ] already removed" error.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but were you able to solve this issue? I've run into a very similar situation -- mine says "block[ 2 ] already removed - does your POIFS have circular or duplicate block references?"

Thanks,

Dan